Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Change in the Family Lichen (or Tree)

Jack


We are sad to say we had to put Jack down at the end of August. With the passing of Jack that ends an era of the pre Dave cats that Heidi had before we met.


It's hard to put down one pet but in 2006 we wound up putting down two of our cats; Elvis and Jack. It was a hard year for both of us.


Now that I'm done with the bad news lets move on to happier things.


We adopted two new kittens in the begining of September! For those of you who think we are nuts; you're right, we are, so deal with it. And now without further ado let me introduce Fry and Olivia!


Fry


Fry

Or the cat formally known as Nokomis. Let me explain; I picked out Fry so I got to name her (btw: they are both females) and I came up with "Nokomis" after one of the lakes in the city. That name lasted less than 24 hours...


I went to Caribou Coffee to get breakfast and as I was leaving the store, Heidi called me in a frantic state saying that the kitten killed the TV and she couldn't find her anywhere and she was afraid that Nokomis might be dead. Having been electrocuted many times myself, I figured that the kitten wasn't dead if she was able to run from the scene of the accident; "experience" is one hell of a teacher...While I was trying to calm Heidi down as I drove home the Nokomis re-appeared, I think that did more to settle her nerves than me trying to explain that the kitten was ok.


I wished that I had taken a picture of the poor, little, electrocuted creature; her whiskers were curled up much like my eye-brows were after catching a fireball in the face from a malfunctioning fryer.


I started calling her Fry as a nickname from the first loss of one of her nine lives. The name stuck and when it came time for her to be fixed "Fry Slavens" was the offical name on record, not Nokomis.


As far as the TV goes, she pulled the electrical tape off of the power cord from where I had to fix it due to Reese chewing through the cord six months earlier. So far (4 months latter) no one else has touched the TV power cord (yet).


BTW: Fry's a freek! She likes to lick teeth and eyes! The teeth I don't mind so much but the licking of the eyes freeks me out!




Olivia


Olivia

How could you say no to this innocent face (that just "killed" the garbage)...




Olivia

She is Fry's sister and they definitely have two distinct personalities. Where Fry is the fighter, Olivia is the lover. We think Murray (pictured with Olivia) has a crush on the girls in the house.


While Heidi picked her out and named her, our respective kittens are traitors to each of us. Fry has become Heidi's and Olivia has become mine, although truth be told they both still climb me like a tree more than they climb Heidi. I can't get water from the fridge dispenser with out both of them on me like white on rice.

No comments: